Thursday 17 March 2011

The non-growers

I mentioned in my last post that a couple of the varieties had not sprouted, that's still the case.
I decided to move them back under cover today and have set up another temporary germinating greenhouse.


This is the Yellow Burkina Habaneros, the Thai Bird Eye chillies and "The Dalston Mutant".
I really want to get some Habaneros going this year so my fingers are still crossed for them, I'm not going to give up on them just yet!

So I don't get confused I drew up a new plan for them too.


These are now suitably moistened and covered in cling film sitting on top of the boiler for heat, an essential ingredient for germination especially for varieties used to hot and steamy conditions.

Enough about these non growers for now though, I've taken a few pictures of the growing plants and they're looking pretty healthy despite the horrible weather we've had sine they germinated.



I've got a bit of an oddity with one of the varieties. It's a new variety for me so it may be normal, who knows?

I thought that all plants (chillies and others) always started with a shoot with 2 leaves to get them started, certainly every kind of plant I've ever grown has started this way.
The Trinidad Perfume variety (the Habanero without heat) has 3 starter leaves.


I'd be interested to know of anyone else who's had this with a chilli plant before.

No comments:

Post a Comment